A (real life) day in the life of a 14.5 Month Old

Theo is almost 15 months old now, and I’m not sure if it was just tantrums, emerging communication skills, teething, a cold…. but starting on New Year’s Eve through that weekend, he was having a very tough time. Here’s our most recent “day in the life” (and I promise I will post a more cheery one next be because he is also so much fun right now!).

8:00 AM: I go in and get Theo up. He’s been awake for a little while in his crib, but thankfully he plays quietly until someone gets him (usually around 8). He immediately eats a yogurt pouch and some pancakes. I’ve been giving him Bisquick pancakes lately, but he promptly dismissed those (I guess he prefers frozen pancakes, or he has a weird appetite?) and just eats the yogurt pouch. We go to the living room to play with some of his new toys and watch cartoons and whine, both of us (LOL).

9:30 AM: Theo eats 2 Jammy Sammy bars and a pouch to make up for his small breakfast.

10:15 AM: Theo starts screaming on a level I have never heard before. He’s not hungry, he doesn’t have a dirty diaper, so I assume he’s in pain and I give him some Motrin and let him nurse.

10:45 AM: Theo is still screaming. None of the usual suspects (read: Dora) are distracting him. So I take him to his room and we turn on Taylor Swift and rock in the dark to try and calm him down. After about 5 minutes of rocking, he settled in and relaxed a bit.

11:00 AM: Theo is asleep in my arms. He usually naps at noon, and he NEVER falls asleep on me, so he must just be completely exhausted.

11:50 AM: he’s up. Our schedule is totally thrown off for the day but I am just rolling with it (not my personality). He has a pouch for lunch and we go back to his room to see if I can get him to go back to to sleep. He eventually falls asleep in my arms, and I fell asleep in the rocking chair right along with him!

1:45 PM: I put him back in his crib to finish his nap because I have to go run an errand (picking up some medical equipment – an at-home sleep test) and I don’t know what the situation will be, so I’d prefer not to take him with me. My husband is working from home right now, so thankfully I’m able to run in and out as needed during nap time.

2:00 PM: I run into the sleep clinic to pick up my equipment. It takes all of 90 seconds and I’m back in the car on the way home, so I guess I could have taken him with me after all! Once I get home, I settle in and continue watching Bridgerton on Netflix. I assume he will be up soon, so I’m kind of waiting on the edge of my seat for him to wake up.

3:30 PM: he’s still asleep?!? I’m confused but I guess I’ll take the additional quiet time. This poor kid must be so tired. I have a policy of not waking him up from nighttime or naps – he is absolutely unruly if we wake him up, and thankfully we have the flexibility to let him sleep (most of the time) since I am home with him, and we usually don’t have anywhere to be.

3:45 PM: he’s up and it is Tylenol & snack time. A bag of Bamba, every day. He loves them and I can always count on him to eat them.

4:00 PM: we have some iPad/TV time in the living room with only minimal whining.

5:30 PM: dinner and bath time! Lately, Theo has been eating canned peaches and the Kid Fresh Wagon Wheel macaroni and cheese. It’s really good and has hidden veggies! I am thankful that he ate his whole meal tonight. He also got some more Motrin.

6:00 PM: now is the time of day I try and bribe him with Dora to snuggle with me on the couch. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t. He’s pretty independent and likes to play and/or watch tv on his own, ha! Thankfully I got lots of snuggles earlier today during our extended quiet time in the nursery.

7:00 PM: time for bed. I wasn’t sure how he’d do since he slept an unusual amount today, but thankfully he went right to sleep at his normal bedtime. I really suspect that he is just not feeling well, since he’s needed so much extra sleep.

After Theo went to bed, Mom & Dad had dinner, watched some TV, and then I got in bed early to watch more Bridgerton on my iPad. I’m hooked! Once I got really sleepy (around 9 pm LOL), I hooked myself up to my at-home sleep monitor, turned on a Peloton meditation (they work), and promptly fell asleep.

My doctor suspects I could have sleep apnea, so the sleep test is to find out if I do or not. Hopefully I’ll get my results soon.

Although I think the whining was a result of not feeling well in this instance, is / was your toddler particularly whiny with mom? But very well behaved for dad or any other caretakers? We are running into this issue lately and I’m not sure why he is so whiny when he is around me!

This post contains affiliate links.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s